Visitor the 60s were turbulent times. There were a lot of changes going on culturally and socially. Art and music were also changing, becoming less rigid and more organic.
In this mission you are going to explore 60s Psychedelia and in particular 60s Psychedelic Posters by the likes of Victor Moscoso, Mouse & Kelley, and Wes Wilson.
Psychedelia and the Psychedelic movement originated in the early to mid 1960s. The name “psychedelic” refers to drugs that were popular with the youth culture of the time. Primarily a youth movement associated with the burgeoning hippie culture in and around the Haight Ashbury District of San Francisco, Psychedelia influenced the music, style of dress, the way people spoke, art, literature and philosophy.
Posters for rock concerts tried to visually express the feeling of tripping out. The visual motifs of psychedelic art include Art Nouveau-inspired curvilinear shapes, illegible hand-drawn type, and intense optical color vibration inspired by the pop art movement.
- To develop conceptual thinking skills.
- To communicate ideas visually and verbally.
- To explore typography styles.
- To develop systems of visual organization.
This project should take ~2 class periods to complete. If you are done too fast, you probably didn't explore all of your creative options and settled too easy on your first idea.
Create a Pinterest board titled: Graphic Arts 1: 60s Psychedelic Posters. Search online for 10+ samples of 60s Psychedelic Posters. Pin each example to your new Pinterest board. With each pin, write a brief caption noting why you chose it as inspiration.
You will be be designing TWO 60s Psychedelic Posters to promote a Music Festival promoting your favorite bands. Your posters should strongly communicate the unique visual characteristics of 60s Psychedelic Poster design.
POSTER DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
- No more than THREE colors.
- A silhouette illustration or simple image trace.
- A rounded psychedelic inspired typeface.
- Type as Illustration.
Your design will incorporate the stylistic elements of 1960’s psychedelic art and hand-drawn lettering styles. Focus will be on both your technical and artistic skills as well as historical accuracy regarding color and shape.
- Create a NEW Custom Inkjet document. Orientation: Portrait Size: 11" x 17". Bleed: .125.
- Either Pen Tool a silhouette for your featured image or use the simple trace option of Live Trace.
- Warp your text using the mesh tool to create typographic illustration within your design.
- Image Trace and Typographic Illustration Tutorial.
- Create a NEW project on Behance titled 60s Psychedelic Poster.
- Upload the WEB version of your 60s Psychedelic Poster.
- Document Mastery
- Purpose: Briefly describe the purpose of the project.
- Inspiration: Add the link to your Pinterest board for this project.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills, etc.): What program(s) did you use? What were the main tools? How did you use the tools? Why? What skills? Be specific!!!
- Color Theory: Color Scheme used (monochromatic, analogous, etc.) and colors used.
- Title Font Name & Category:
- Copy Font Name & Category:
- Resources: Link to outside tutorials, brushes, fonts, etc. that you used.
- Submit Project URL to Canvas.
Groovy Visitor. I like your style.