Visitor in this mission you are going to explore the first key Visual Element - COLOR.
Follow along as guest instructor Gareth David discusses the Visual Element - COLOR.
Visual Element - COLOR
The final element in good design is color, which is the ultimate tool for symbolic communication. The decisions you make about color should be made with great care to ensure the success of your design piece.
In your piece, you should think about the mood you want to convey. Like value, color can evoke moods and emotion. It can also help to identify an important element in your layout as well as relay the message of your communication. For example, you could use a colored frame around a group of images to let your reader know that all of those images belong together. You could also use red to convey an important piece of textual information.
Although color can make a layout more dynamic, it is important to consider why you want to use color and what you would like the color to achieve. Think about what colors are most appropriate to your message and your audience.
To use color in your piece:
- Make important text a different color than the rest of the copy.
- Use a bright color to tell the reader where to look first.
- Use bright colors together to help create a feeling of excitement.
- Repeat a color from an image and use it with corresponding type or as a background to help unify the layout.
- Color code a document (such as a training manual) with large amounts of text to help organize the piece.
- Use an appropriate color to help differentiate parts of a chart or graph.
- Use colors such as pastels to create a soothing mood, or more bright colors to create excitement.
To claim MASTERY for this Mission:
- Create a NEW POST. Title: Visual Element - Color Category: Design Theory.
- In your own words explain primary colors, secondary colors, and tertiary colors.
- In your own words explain monochromatic colors, analogous colors, complementary colors, triadic colors.
- Create a NEW DOCUMENT in Adobe Illustrator and create a design that demonstrates COLOUR as a visual design element. BE CREATIVE!!!
- Save the new document for the Web and insert into your post.
- Don't forget to PUBLISH your post.
Color is just one of several visual elements used in design. Continue on to discover what other visual elements are used in design.